When it comes to the workplace, drinking water isn’t just a “nice to have”, it’s the law! All businesses must comply with the regulations for welfare at work provided by the HSE (Health and Safety Executive).
If you employ anyone for any period of time you must provide appropriate facilities for their wellbeing at work, including toilets, somewhere to eat and an adequate supply of drinking water.
Drinking water regulations
The HSE specify that drinking water must be:
- Safe and free from contamination.
- In an easily accessible place.
- Provided along with cups, unless there is a drinking fountain provided.
This applies to every type of workplace, including work premises that are outdoors. As a result, bottled water coolers can be invaluable in workplaces where there isn’t an easily accessible water supply, such as:
- Construction sites.
- Temporary buildings.
- Short term workspaces (such as events).
- Older buildings without modern facilities.
Other benefits of using a bottled water cooler
Installing a bottled water cooler can help you comply with workplace law, plus it has a host of other benefits, including:
- The ability to provide a secondary water source, perhaps in a more easily accessible location.
- Helping to make water more visible, encouraging staff to keep hydrated.